March 26-29 is the Ft. Worth Food and Wine Festival. Director Russell Kirkpatrick and the Chef Chair Sarah Hooten talk about the event and showcase a few of the items that people get to try.
Here's a recipe for one of them:
?1 1/2 packages yeast
1/4 C Warm Water
1 1/4 C Milk
1/2 C Sugar
1 t ? Salt
1/4 C Shortening
3 3/4 - 4C AP Flour
As needed Canola Oil for frying
1. Mix yeast with warm water (under 138 degrees), let sit for 10-15 minutes until bubbly
2. In a Kitchenaid mixer, add yeast, water, milk, sugar, eggs, shortening, salt & 3 C of the flour. Mix with a dough hook - add more flour as needed. Dough should be very soft and slightly sticky. Mix on medium speed for 5-7 minutes, making sure to scrape the bowl periodically.
3. Let dough rest, covered in a warm area until doubled in size.
4. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1" thickness. Cut donut holes.
5. Place on parchment paper and let rest and proof again for about 15 minutes.
6. Place canola oil in a large pot and using a candy thermometer, heat oil to 375 degrees. Carefully place the donut holes in oil, turning constantly so they cook evenly.
7. Place them on a rack so they will drain.
8. Serve hot with TX Whiskey Glaze & TX Whiskey Chocolate
TX Whiskey Glaze
?1/2 C Butter
?3 C? Powdered Sugar
?2 t Vanilla
4 T TX Whiskey
1. Melt butter, mix in powdered sugar, vanilla and TX Whiskey.
2. Serve in a squeeze bottle.
TX Whiskey Chocolate
1/2 C Cream
8 oz Good Chocolate (Valrhona, El Rey, Callebaute)
2 oz TX Whiskey
1. Heat Cream, pour over chocolate to melt, add whiskey
2. Serve in a squeeze bottle?