A couple months ago, APD and TABC arrested 120 minors using fake IDs over a two night period. Officers say that investigation led them to two UT sophomores who were making and selling fake IDs for as much as $200.
Undercover officers made contact with one of the suspects who agreed to sell the officers a counterfeit state identification card for $200. With the information APD gathered during the initial investigation, a search warrant was obtained for the residences of both subjects. The following items were found:
- 3 printers
- Numerous ink cartridges
- 2 laptops
- Over 350 blank ID cards with magnetic strips
- 2 magnetic strip encoders
- 1 holographic image stamp maker
- 1 UV Lamp
- 1 fictitious Louisiana driver license
- 2 fictitious Arizona driver license
- 5 fictitious Idaho driver license
- 2 partially printed fictitious IDs
- Numerous other ID making materials
- Hand written instructions on how to make Fictitious IDs
Officer Justin Berry with the Austin Police Department says, "We hope this will act as a deterrent to others who want to make and manufacture these IDs as well as those who want to utilize these IDs."
The two sophomores now face felony charges of tampering with evidence.
APD says they're expected to turn themselves in this week.
The minors who bought the IDs face misdemeanor charges.