The new JW Marriott is now a fixture downtown and with it comes new places to eat. One of them is Corner and Chef Jennifer Etzkin makes one of the items on its menu that combines two of her favorite things.
The recipe for zucchini cheddar cornbread is as follows:
Jalapeno, minced with seeds - 1 tbsp
Diced zucchini - 1.25 cup
Butter - 1 tbsp
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Yellow cornmeal - 1 cup
Kosher salt - 1 tsp
Baking powder - 2.5 tbsp
Canned creamed corn - 3/4 cup
Butter - 1 cup
Granulated sugar - 3/4 cup
Aged white cheddar - 1 cup
Eggs, large - 4 each
Buttermilk - 1/4 cup
Corn - 1 cup
Squash Blossoms - 4 each
1. Place 4 6" cast iron skillets in a 500 degree F oven.
2. Melt 1 tbsp butter in sauce pan and sautee zucchini and jalapeno until soft. Chill completely.
3. Combine all dry ingredients and mix well
4. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk until just combined. Fold in butter, sautéed zucchini, creamed corn, fresh corn, and cheddar
5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and fold together 3 times. THE MIXTURE WILL NOT BE COMBINED.
6. Remove the skillets from the oven and spry with non-stick spray. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F.
7. Spoon the cornbread mixture into the skillets. Start with a wet pocket of mix, and alternate with dry pockets until the mixture comes to the top of each skillet.
8. Press 1 squash blossom into the top of each cornbread and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the bread.