The heirloom tomato season is here, so many colors, shapes and sizes. Each are sweet, but all taste differently with some being more mild and some being a little tangy. Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad with Grilled Naan Bread makes for a perfect summer salad or spread for a summer gathering.
- 5 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 4 pieces of whole wheat Naan Bread, grilled slightly on each side
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella balls, (about 2), drained and sliced into rounds
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Alternating layers, arrange tomatoes, whole basil leaves, and mozzarella on a plate.
In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice and wine.
Slowly whisk in oil.
Season with salt and pepper.
Drizzle over tomatoes and mozzarella and let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with grilled, naan flatbread.