Melissa Brown from Whole Foods talks about heirloom tomatoes and uses them for an easy, no cook salad that's a perfect side dish for picnics and potlucks.
The recipe is as follows:
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
- 1/2 pound green beans, thinly sliced on the bias
- 15 pieces sun-dried tomatoes in extra-virgin olive oil, thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon oil from the jar
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a large, nonreactive bowl, stir together heirloom tomatoes, juices and bulgur.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature until bulgur is tender, about 3 hours.
- Stir in green beans, sun-dried tomatoes and oil, and salt.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.