Michael Wake with Whole Foods shares a recipe that's perfect to make for holiday parties.
The recipe, that yields 15, for traditional miniature potato latkes is as follows:
12oz shredded frozen potatoes
1 eighth of a yellow onion
1 whole fresh egg
½ cup all-purpose unbleached flour (can substitute gluten-free alternative, if needed)
¼ tablespoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup canola oil
- Thaw potatoes under running cold water
- Place potatoes in a colander & press all the water out.
- Mix together potatoes, onion, eggs, flour, salt, & baking powder. Do not over mix or you will get doughy cakes.
- Heat canola oil in tilt skillet set at 325⁰.
- Using a small (0.8oz) scoop, place scoops of potato mix in oil & press down to make an even circle.
- Fry until golden brown & flip.
- Transfer to lined sheet pan & bake @ 350⁰ until internal temperature is 165⁰.
- Top with your favorite topping. Try candied cardamom-ginger apples and sour cream!