Mary Olivar with Whole Foods makes a simple dish that can be a great side or a healthy meal on its own.
The recipe is as follows:
- 3 small zucchini (about 1 1/4 pounds total), ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted whole almonds
- 1 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove long strips from 1 zucchini and place in a bowl; when you reach the soft, seedy core, place it in a food processor.
- Repeat with remaining zucchini and refrigerate zucchini "noodles."
- Add almonds, 1 cup of the basil, vinegar and salt to the food processor with zucchini cores.
- Pulse, scraping down sides of the food processor frequently, until a chunky purée forms.
- Toss noodles with almond pesto.
- Slice remaining 1/4 cup basil and sprinkle on top.