30 people are out of their homes after a fire tears through The Retreat at Barton Creek Apartments on South Lamar just north of Ben White near The Ann Richards School.
The fire started shortly after midnight.
Officials say that the fire was so intense it sent smoke and flames shooting through the roof of the building. When crews arrived on the scene nearly the entire building was on fire.
Investigators were able to keep the fire from spreading to other apartment buildings.
Officials say that the cause of the fire is accidental due to improperly discarded smoking material. They say a cigarette ignited a second floor exterior wood balcony.
24 units suffered fire or smoke or water damage.
No one was hurt.
The Red Cross and apartment management are assisting the displaced residents and officials say most will be able to relocate on the property.