Authorities released the names of those killed in two different wrecks on Mother's Day. Both happened on the same road, Highway 290, but on opposite sides of Austin.
Investigators say the wreck Sunday afternoon- between manor and Elgin - was a case of hydroplaning. Anne Pierce and her husband had just finished a Mother's Day lunch in Austin with their daughter when they drove up on the scene.
"And then we saw smoke coming from the ditch, we didn't know whether something was one fire, we didn't know what it was. My husband had a fire extinguisher on the back of his truck so we pulled over and he got out helping but there was already a crowd of people,” said Pierce.
Five people were in the truck, friends and family who are from Elgin. The driver, 24-year-old Alfonso Lopez and his father Jose- were killed. 3 people survived the roll-over-- but pierce says they were trapped inside.
"Everyone was trying to get doors open, no doors were opening, they were just, you could see people just felt helpless,” said Pierce.
While emergency responders pulled the injured out another fatal collision took place on Hwy 290 near dripping springs. A total of seven people, from Austin and Dripping Springs, were involved.
According to state troopers a Lincoln sedan veered into the westbound lanes of the highway and collided with another car. Of the seven victims, only two survive.
Those killed in the Lincoln are identified as: Caitlin Rene Smyth , Ricky Dale Williams, and Kyle Lee Alba.
Those who died in the car that was hit are identified as: Nancy Ann Clark and Kathy Lee Leverett.
It was a tragic end to a day that Anne Pierce will never forget.
“Mother’s Day went from being a, we were happy, to some one right now, a mother that’s very sad."
While investigators believe hydroplaning was the cause of the wreck in Manor, the cause of the crash near Dripping Springs remains under investigation.
Manor Crash Info From Manor PD:
Occupants in Truck are identified as follows:
· Driver: Alfonso Lopez 8-1-91 24 year old (son) (deceased)
· Front Passenger: Jose Lopez 2-28-65 correct age 51 52 year old (father) (deceased)
· Back Left Passenger: Antonio Lopez 16 year old (son) (still in hospital)
· Back Middle Passenger: Elanor Padron 12-9-73 42 year old (mother) (released from hospital)
· Back Right Passenger: Marisol Aguirre 8-28-95 20 year old (believed to be girlfriend of driver) (still in hospital)
Dripping Springs Crash Info From DPS:
Occupants in Lincoln Sedan:
1. Caitlin Rene Smyth , 23, from Austin, Deceased
2. Ricky Dale Williams, 57, from Austin, Deceased
3. Kyle Lee Alba, 25, from Dripping Springs, Deceased
4. Erik Johnson, 29, W/M, from Dripping Springs - Transported to South Austin Medical Center (Condition unknown)
*Number 1-3 were pounced dead at the scene by Judge Terry L. Kyle and transported to Heart of Texas Crematories and Burial Services*
Occupants in Buick Sedan:
5. Randall Dene Osban, 58, Transported to St. David's Austin Medical Center (Condition unknown)
6. Nancy Ann Clark, 82 - died at Seton Southwest Hospital
7. Kathy Lee Leverett, 62 - died at the scene
The Texas Department of Public Safety has released the identities of the five victims involved in Sunday's fatal car crash just east of Dripping Springs.
Police said the victims names are: Caitlin Rene Smyth, 23, from Austin, Kyle Lee Alba, 25, from Dripping Springs, Ricky Dale Williams, 57, from Austin, Kathy Lee Leverett, 62, and Nancy Ann Clark, 82.
According to police, the conditions of two more victims, one from each vehicle, are currently unknown.
Police said Smyth, Williams, Alba, and Leverett all died at the scene. Clark later died at Seton Southwest Hospital.
According to police, a tan Lincoln four-door car, traveling eastbound on US 290, skidded into oncoming traffic and traveled into the path of a Buick four-door vehicle. Two of the victims from the Buick, Clark and Leverett, died and three victims from the Lincoln, Smyth, Alba, and Williams, also died. Police do not know how the driver lost control of the vehicle.
Police said the crash is still under investigation.