AUSTIN,Texas - Say goodbye to Car2go’s Smart rental cars, the North American headquarters in Austin announced that its one-way car sharing service is being completely upgraded.
The company is transitioning to a new Austin Car2go fleet made up of hundreds of news Mercedes-Benz CLA sedans and GLA sport utility vehicles.
Car2go was first launched eight years ago and headquartered in Austin. The city was also first to debut one-way car sharing.
The company reports that Austin has over 67,000 Car2go members and a fleet of over 300 Car2go vehicles. The vehicles on average are shared by 220 members according to the press release.
Austin General Manager James Emery stated in a press release:
“It was here where one-way carsharing was proven possible in North America, and it is here we are turning a big page in car2go’s history. Fantastic new vehicles and the easiest, most powerful app experience yet are giving Austinites the ability to travel in style, safety, and comfort while avoiding the expense and inconvenience of car ownership,” Emery said. “Car2go even takes care of gas, insurance and parking. We’re a big part of why quality of life in Austin is so good, and our new cars and technology help to make living and travelling in Austin even better.”
Car2go Mercedes-Benz vehicles accommodate four to five passengers and, despite their interior space, are deceptively compact: both are shorter in length than a Honda Civic or a Toyota Camry.
Every Austin Car2go Mercedes-Benz vehicle is equipped with blind spot sensors, adaptive braking and a rearview camera for easy parking.
Car2go covers all metered parking in its Austin Home Area and provides members with convenient VIP Drop Zones during Austin’s largest music festivals and other popular events.
“Since launching in 2009, Austin Car2Go members have taken 2.4 million trips covering over 10 million miles,” a company press release stated, “enough to drive to the moon and back 21 times.”
Research conducted by UC Berkeley illustrates environmental impacts that car-sharing has.
According to research Car2go vehicles can remove up to 11 other cars from crowded city streets while also reducing air pollution, helping cities move and breathe more easily.
THE NEW VEHICLES WILL INCLUDE:
• Rearview camera, providing drivers with a 180-degree view for added confidence when backing-up
• Blind Spot Assist, which warns drivers when another object or vehicle is in their blind spot
• Adaptive Braking, a radar-based technology that can autonomously brake at speeds of up to 65 mph and alert drivers when approaching a vehicle ahead – including some stationary objects – at a speed and distance that suggest a collision is likely
• Hands-Free Access, a sensor in the rear bumper that detects your presence with the car’s key and automatically opens and close the trunk or hatch by moving your foot under the bumper sensor
• Heated Seats, Bluetooth, Navigation, and Panoramic sunroof
• Multiple air-bags and anti-lock braking system
• Full smartphone integration including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Car2go covers its members insurance, parking, gas and maintenance with no additional fees. Members only pay by the minute for what they use. Car2go is offering Austinites free registration and drive credit for new car2go members
The switch over is scheduled to be completed by the end of November.