The City of Austin has recommended eight possible locations for a new Major League Soccer site in a city memorandum.
Back in October, Anthony Precourt, owner of Precourt Sports Ventures, announced he was considering moving the major league soccer team Columbus Crew from Ohio to Austin, Texas. Since then, the city tasked the Parks and Recreation Department to lead the process of exploring possible city-owned properties.
The department was asked to look for areas for a possible soccer stadium and spots for practice fields. Many city departments assisted with the preliminary search.
The initial list is as follows:
- St. John's Home Depot/Chrysler 7211 N IH35, Austin 78752
- McKalla Property 10414 McKalla Place, Austin, TX 78758
- Toomey Ballfields- 1501 Toomey Rd, Austin, TX 78704
- Travis County Exposition Center- 7311 Decker Ln, Austin, TX 78724
- Roy G. Guerrero Colorado River Metro Park - 400 Grove Blvd, Austin, TX 78741
- Walnut Creek Sports Complex- 7800 Johnny Morris Rd, Austin, TX 78724
- Bolm Road District Park- 6700 Bolm Rd, Austin, TX 78725
- Tony Burger Activity Center and Stadium- 3200 Jones Rd, Austin, TX 78745*
The memorandum notes, though the Tony Burger Activity Center is not city-owned, Austin ISD said the location was up for discussion.
According to the memorandum, city staff will continue researching and plans to have a more comprehensive report in January.