The Austin/Travis County Animal Services is asking the public to call 3-1-1 if anyone came in contact with a fox in the Long Canyon neighborhood at Bell Mountain Drive off FM 2222 in the past week.
Animal protection officers have identified three dogs that came in contact with the fox before it was killed on February 2 by one of the dogs. These dogs are under observation and are quarantined.
Officials say no human interaction with the fox has been reported. They're asking people to report any possible contact with the fox in the past several days.
Here's some tips to protect pets and family of exposures to these wild animals:
- Vaccinate your dogs and cats as well as livestock
- Restrain your pets. Do not allow them to roam freely in public.
- Avoid contact with wild animals and unknown dogs and cats.
- Do not touch sick or injured animals.
- If your pet is bitten, scratched or in a fight with any animal call 3-1-1.
Any contact with these high risk wild animals should be reported to 3-1-1 immediately.
You can get more info here.