AUSTIN, Texas (FOX 7 Austin) - The Austin Fire Department had to battle sub freezing temperatures Monday morning when a fire broke out at an apartment complex in Northeast Austin. The fire has been ruled accidental.
The fire was reported just before 8 a.m. at the Pebble Creek Apartments located in the 8800 block of North Plaza.
Residents living in the building were forced to evacuate. They say their smoke alarms did go off, which is how they were notified of the fire.
No injuries were reported but 15 residents have been displaced. Apartment management and the Central Texas Red Cross are assisting.
Officials say an electrical short in the wall is to blame. They say the fire extended from the wall to the attic.
Damage was limited to six units with the cost estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $10,000 to contents.