Kyle Police continues the investigation of Friday's early morning crash that claimed the live of four people, including a young child. The three car accident happened on I-35 northbound at mile marker 214, near Mitchell Motor Sports, shortly after 1 AM.
Kyle Police dispatchers received a 911 call reporting a wrong-way driver heading southbound on the northbound side of the highway. A subsequent call was made to 911 reporting the crash.
Kyle Police Chief Jeff Barnett confirmed four fatalities: two adult males, one adult female, and one male child between the age of 18 months and 2 years old.
There were three vehicles involved in the wreck: a Honda passenger vehicle, a Ford Winstar minivan and a Ford F150 pick-up truck. Kyle Police believe the driver of the Civic, a male, was going the wrong way on I-35.
That individual was taken to an Austin hospital in critical condition. No charges have been filed and at this time there is no confirmation that alcohol or drugs were involved. The driver of the pick-up, also a male, was treated and released at the scene. All others involved in the crash were in the minivan, including two young children with non life-threatening injuries who are being treated at Dell Children's Hospital.
Traffic was diverted for several hours onto the access road at exit 213 just south of Center Street. Kyle Police reopening the highway around 6:30 a.m. just as rush hour was building up.
Kyle Police confirmed they will close down that same portion of I-35, with permission from the Texas Department of Transportation, this Sunday morning between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. for accident reconstruction. It was reported earlier they would close down the road beginning at midnight Monday, but predictions of rain caused KPD to change the time.
The seven-member Kyle Police "Crash Team" each have more than 250 hours of specialized training in accident reconstruction.
Police are also asking that anyone who has information about this morning's accident, such as a witness who saw the vehicles involved or saw the crash, to please call Kyle Police at the non-emergency number 512-268-3232.
Occupants of the silver Ford Winstar minivan:
(Reside in Canada)
- Male Driver, Heinrich Martens, 31 (deceased)
- Female Passenger, Margaretha Wall Hildebrandt, 27 (deceased)
- Male Passenger, Gerhard Hiebert Peters, 30 (deceased)
- Male Passenger, Jacob Wall Hiebert, 16 months (deceased)
- Female Passenger, Helena Hiebert Wall, 6 (Transported to Dell Children's and admitted)
- Female Passenger, Mikayla Hiebert (Spelling and DOB unknown; approximately 3 years old) (Transported to Dell Children's and admitted)
Occupant of Ford F150 pick-up truck:
- Male Driver, Luke Barone, 23 (Treated at the scene and released)
Occupant of Honda Civic:
- Male Driver, Wilson Rene Molinares, 22 (Transported to Brackenridge Hospital by Medics - Admitted in critical condition)