AUSTIN, Texas (FOX 7 Austin) - St. Edward's University Police Department says it is investigating a groping incident.
The incident happened just before 8 p.m. at around 7:45 p.m. in the elevator of Johnson Hall.
Police say that the victim said he was riding the elevator when the suspect groped him. The victim and suspect got off the elevator on the fourth floor.
The suspect is described as follows:
- About 6' tall
- Dark skin and strong body odor
- Last seen wearing a white t-shirt, black shorts and a black bandana
Police say they swept Johnson Hall and did not find the suspect. If you have any information about the incident you're asked to call 512-448-8444 or email them at email@example.com.
Officials also would like to remind students and other members of the St. Edward's community about the following general safety tips:
- Report criminal incident and suspicious activities/individuals immediately to law enforcement by calling 512-448-8444 (On Campus) or 9-1-1 (Off Campus).
- If possible, avoid walking alone and/or stay with known acquaintances until you arrive safely home. Download the Topper Safe app and use Friend Walk as an alternative.
- Always be alert and aware of your surroundings. This is particularly true if you are wearing headphones and may not be able to hear someone near or behind you.
- If someone bothers you, do not be embarrassed to attract attention to yourself. Yell!
- Stay in well-lighted areas, away from alleys, bushes, and entryways.
- If a driver stops to ask directions, avoid getting close to the individual or vehicle
- If a vehicle appears to be following you, turn and walk in the opposite direction. You should go to a location where other people are and get assistance.
- Always try to let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Never provide an unknown individual access to a secured building on campus.
- Seek support if you are experiencing anxiety or feel like you have been triggered in some way. Contact your resident assistant if you live on campus or speak with a counselor in the Health & Counseling Center (512-448-8538). To reach an on-call counselor after hours, please call 512-448-8444.