Austin-Travis County EMS responded to a burn incident at the YMCA on 5800 block McNeil Drive in North Austin. Three pediatric patients suffered non-life threatening burns.
The pediatric patients were taken to Dell Children's Medical Center with serious injuries. One was transferred to the San Antonio Burn Center.
EMS received the call around 1:30 this afternoon. According to the YMCA Austin PIO, a homeschool class from the Northwest Homeschool Co-op were working on a science project outside the YMCA facility. The group of about ten children, believed to be between the ages of nine and twelve, were working with camp stoves and using denatured alcohol. The fumes of the alcohol accumulated and ignited.
Three students were burned. The burns were to their hands, arms, and legs.
The extent of the injuries of the children are not known at this time.
The YMCA Austin PIO says the Homeschool Co-op has used the YMCA facility for different school activities for over five years.
This is an ongoing investigation and will be updated with more information as it becomes available.