A five-alarm fire in a Fort Worth warehouse took hours to take down Friday afternoon.
One firefighter was injured with minor burns, businesses were affected and those who lived and worked nearby were told to stay inside.
It took crews more than five hours to get the fire under control. Luckily, there were no other injuries behind the firefighter who was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Flames shot through the roof and thick black smoke kept Fort Worth firefighters busy for the entire afternoon as they tried to put out the fire at an industrial park on Ludelle Street.
The industrial park houses dozens of businesses, including furniture manufacturers, a cardboard recycling facility and chemical storage. It led firefighters to become concerned for some residents nearby.
Crews urged those who could see or smell the smoke to stay indoors and close doors and windows for most of the afternoon.
The fire department sent out the safety warning to anyone within a two-mile radius of the fire.
Otha Holley noticed all the commotion nearby. He said he was sitting on his porch when he noticed traffic cutting through his neighborhood to get around the fire.
“I saw helicopters, two helicopters,” he recalled. “I kept wondering they were sitting right there. I rolled down there, saw the smoke and said I know what's over there now. There's a big fire over there.”
By 6 p.m., firefighters had the flames under control. Fire officials believe the fire started with a machine possibly inside the recycling facility that malfunctioned.
Fire crews have not said what chemicals were inside the building or how many businesses total were affected.