High School Student of the Week
Rules and Regulations
Who Can Enter
1. Nominators must be 21 years of age or older, must reside in Bastrop, Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Fayette, Gillespie, Hays, Lee, Llano, Mason, Travis, or Williamson County, (collectively, “Counties”) and may nominate a high school student, 14 years of age or older, who resides in and attends a high school in one of the Counties. Nominators must have lawful access to the method(s) of entry set forth in these rules. Nominators must be the parent or legal guardian of the student being nominated and have consent from the student.
2. Employees of NW Communications of Austin, Inc., owner of television station KTBC, Southwest Kia (“Sponsors”), its affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, and the immediate family and household members of each are ineligible.
How To Enter
3. No purchase is necessary to enter or win. Nominators may nominate one person only once during a school year. A nominator may nominate an eligible high school student only once during a school year, but, a nominator may nominate multiple high school students, but only one eligible high school student may be nominated on each nomination entry form. One high school student may be nominated by multiple nominators, but multiple nominations for a student will not increase that student’s chances of being selected. Entries may be submitted beginning Friday, September 12, 2020 at 12 AM local time through Monday, November 23, 2020 at 11:59 PM local time.
4. To nominate a student, go to www.fox7austin.com/contests and click on the “High School Student of the Week” link and follow through to the on-line entry page. Nominators will be asked to enter their email address and phone number. Submit a nomination by completing the on-line entry form and uploading a photo of the nominee. No one may appear in the photo with the nominee. Photos must be submitted in JPEG format with dimensions at least 640 x 480. Nominators will be asked to provide the name, grade and school of the student they are nominating. The nominator must write why the student should be recognized for the High School Student of Week, and include any notable achievements in school or the community. It is mandatory to explain why the student should be recognized and the explanation must fit in the space provided on the entry form, in 700 characters or less. The photo of each winning student may be shown, and a portion of the nominator’s essay may be read, during the FOX 7 News at 9, airing Mondays from September 7th, 2020 to November 30, 2020.
5. You must have the right or permission to submit the photo of the nominee; professionally taken photos are not permitted (e.g., no Year Book photos or school photos may be submitted). All submissions must be original and conform to the Sponsor’s then-current standards and practices and policies as established or determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. Without limiting the foregoing, submissions may not contain profanity or references to violence or demean any gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation. Entrants must own the copyright to, or otherwise have all necessary rights in, their entry materials. THe sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant or remove any entry based on a claim, including, without limitation, a claim of copyright infringement or misappropriation of likeness. Entry constitutes an unlimited perpetual license to Sponsor to use entry materials, including, but not limited to, the right to copy, distribute, publicly perform and display the entry materials on its websites, television stations and in any and all media whether now known or hereinafter invented. Nominators must own the copyright to, or otherwise have all necessary rights in, their entry materials.
6. FOX 7 personnel will judge the nominations, in its sole discretion, based on the nature and significance of the student’s achievements and how compelling the essay is. The decision of the judges will be final as to all matters, including, but not limited to whether an entry is received timely and whether a nominee or nominator is eligible.
7. Sponsor is not responsible for the error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware, or software malfunctions of any kind, or inaccurate transmission of or failure to receive entry, nominators’ or nominee’s other information by Sponsor or nominators for any reason whatsoever. Sponsor is also not responsible for any injury or damage to any nominator’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any materials in the promotion or for entries that are late, misdirected or incomplete. All entry materials may be maintained as part of KTBC FOX 7’s records. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A NOMINATOR TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATIONS OF THE PROMOTION IS A VIOLATION OF THE CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH NOMINATOR TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. The sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify the promotion if it becomes technically otherwise corrupted.
8. Each Monday night, beginning September 7, 2020, through November 30, 2020, one nominee will be selected to be the featured student from among all eligible entries received. All nominations not selected each week will remain eligible for selection for the duration of the promotion.
9. Each Monday night during the promotion, beginning on September 7, 2020, through November 30, 2020, the winning student will be announced on the FOX 7 News between 9 PM and 10:30 PM. Each winning student’s photo will also be shown on the contest page from the time that student wins, through the duration of the contest. FOX 7 reserves the right to cancel the announcement of the High School Student of the Week during any day FOX 7 deems it necessary to report on or present continuing coverage of breaking news of local, regional or national significance.
10. The nominator will be notified by e-mail/phone around 11 AM local time each Friday, beginning September 4, 202,0 through November 20, 2020, that their nominee will be featured that next Monday evening on the FO7 News.
11. Individuals are eligible to win “High School Student of the Week” only once within the promotion dates, regardless of the number of nominations received.
Odds of Winning Miscellaneous
12. Odds of winning depend on the number of nominations received.
13. Except where prohibited by law, entry constitutes permission to use nominators’ and nominees’ names, hometowns, likenesses, and photographs for broadcast, online posting, and/or any in any other media, including for advertising and publicity purposes, without additional compensation.
14. These rules are available at www.fox7austin.com, and Mon-Fri during normal business hours KTBC FOX 7, at 119 East 10th Street, Austin, Texas 78701 through November 30, 2020.
15. For a list of students and/or nominators, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope no later than one year following the end of the entry period to: “High School Student of the Week” KTBC FOX 7, 119 East 10th Street, Austin, Texas 78701.
16. This promotion is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited or restricted by law, including without limitation, in jurisdictions requiring registration, filing, trust account, or posting of a bond, or any other requirements or disclosures that are not expressly satisfied by these rules. Sponsor is not responsible for typographical or other errors in the printing, offering, or administration of the promotion, or in the announcement of the prize. The order in which entries are received will have no bearing on the selection of the student of the week and nominator. In the event of a dispute over who submitted a particular entry, Sponsor will determine the nominator’s identity or select an alternate student of the week and nominator, in its sole discretion.