Hand sanitizer, cigarette sparked Rockville Pike car blaze, officials say

A hand-sanitizer mishap sparked huge flames and billowing smoke from a car on Thursday in Rockville.

READ MORE: Maryland lawnmower driver caught on camera waiting in line for gas

SkyFox was over the Federal Plaza Shopping Center today as crews worked to put out the fire.

READ MORE: Rockville High School grad worked on Mars helicopter flight

Officials in Montgomery County say a driver was using hand sanitizer while smoking a cigarette.

Download the FOX 5 DC News App for Local Breaking News and Weather

They say this is a bad idea, especially in an unventilated place like a car.

The driver suffered minor burns.