Unexploded bomb inside package at Austin FedEx facility

Image 1 of 3

Update: Federal and local agencies confirm that the two packages found at two separate FedEx facilities are connected to the four previous package explosions that occurred between Mar. 2. and Mar. 18.

While Schertz was conducting an investigation into a package explosion at their FedEx facility the McKinney Falls Pkwy facility in Austin was also investigating a suspicious package. 

Police got the call early Tuesday morning about a suspicious package.  APD, along with the FBI and the ATF, responded.

In Tuesday’s incidents, one package exploded at the Schertz FedEx distribution facility and a second package was found at the McKinney Falls site . Officials said they were able to determine that the package contained an explosive device and the package was disrupted by law enforcement.

"This is a constantly evolving situation that we are in and we remain committed to continuing to put out the information to keep our community safe," said Interim Chief Brian Manley, Austin Police Department.

Two scary incidents at two different FedEx facilities on the same day. Employees at the McKinney Falls site were told to evacuate, and the ones who hadn't gotten to work needed to stay home. 

"This morning I got a text message from employees that just said there was a bomb threat from San Antonio ..they told us to be careful and advised us not to come near the facility," said Kimberly Hill, FedEx employee.

Bryan Jaimes, a package handler at the McKinney Falls location says the news in Schertz bothered him because it could've been him injured.

"They throw out a lot of boxes, we have about 7,000 to 10,000 boxes an hour," said Jaimes. "I'm in a hurry so sometimes I throw them on the floor and then load them up quick as I can. If I threw one that had a bomb, on the floor, it would not only be me but my co-workers who go along with me."

According Manley these latest incidents are different in method, but he thinks it's the same person or people doing this.

"We do believe these incidents are all related, the ones that we have worked so far and that is because of the specific components of these devices," said Manley.

The first three bombs were inside of boxes. The fourth, tripwire, and now packages again, but they’re being transported via major shipping facilities. The perpetrator's M.O. could be anything that's why Manley says no stone is being left unturned in the investigation. 

"We have over 500 federal agents here from the FBI and the ATF. "We need as a community to come together and be the eyes and ears of the department," said Manley.