The Vandegrift Vipers Band is the 2019 Bands of America Grand National Champion!
Six bands from Texas in total were in the finals and half were from Central Texas. The other schools in our area were Leander High School, which finished 5th, and Round Rock High School, which finished 9th.
The finals results were as follows:
- Vandegrift High School
- Avon High School, Indiana
- Hebron High School, Texas
- Carmel High School, Indiana
- Leander High School
- Claudia Taylor Johnson High School, Texas
- William Mason High School, Ohio
- The Woodlands High School, Texas
- Round Rock High School
- Homestead High School, Indiana
- Union High School, Oklahoma
- Ayala High School, California
TxBands.com says Vandegrift's win made a little bit of history. Vandegrift is the youngest school (from the time the school opened) to have won Bands of America Grand National Champion and is one of only a handful of schools in modern history to take the title on its first trip to the competition (other years were 1976, 1977 and 1979).
Vandegrift also joins Westfield as the only school to have won UIL State, TMEA State Honor Band and Bands of America Grand National Champion.
The Vandegrift football team posted a photo and congratulations on its Facebook page.
Leander ISD shared photos of Vandegrift and Leander's performances on their Facebook page.
Congratulations Vipers and to all the teams!