AUSTIN, Texas - Austin ISD has retrofitted its school buses with WiFi capabilities to help students with distance learning.
The district says the buses will be strategically positioned at apartments and neighborhoods in North and South Austin that have been identified as having the highest needs. Anyone who uses the buses is to remain six feet apart and maintain social distancing, and students will not be allowed to board the bus.
Students at the following locations will be able to access free WiFi on their school computers, not on personal devices, on weekdays starting Monday, April 8 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
North Austin locations:
- 8800 & 8900 N. IH 35 (Avesta & Capella Apartments)
- 5701 Johnny Morris Rd. (Pecan Park Mobile Homes)
- 7000 Decker Ln. (Huntington Meadows Apartments)
- 1601 E. Anderson Ln. (Creekwood Apartments)
- 1901 E. Anderson Ln. (Avesta Apartments)
- 1044 Norwood Plaza (Paddock at Norwood Apartments)
South Austin locations:
- 10701 & 10505 S IH 35 (Onion Creek Apts & Bridge at Asher Apts)
- 1601 E. Slaughter Ln. (River Ridge Community)
- 815 W. Slaughter Ln. (Trails at the Park)
- 8405 Old Bee cave Rd. (Southwest Trails Apartments)
Mobile WiFi will also be available at the Uphaus Early Childhood Center and Metz Elementary. At the school locations, users are advised to stay in their cars, if possible, or stand at least six feet apart and practice social distancing.
FOX 7 Austin is working to keep you up to date with coronavirus, with both local and national developments. Every weekday we're live at 12 p.m. with a special show reporting the latest news, prevention tips and treatment information.
You can also get the latest COVID-19 news from around the country at coronavirusnow.com.