AUSTIN, Texas - Austin-Travis County Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott is providing an update on protecting vulnerable populations from COVID-19.
Dr. Escott is holding a brief press conference outside the Austin Public Health Department Operations Center in South Austin around 3 p.m. on Wednesday, March 11. The press conference is expected to be about preventative measures against COVID-19 coronavirus in order to contain the spread of the disease.
The Texas Department of State Health Services Commissioner John Hellerstedt and Gov. Greg Abbott are also urging Texans to continue taking preventative measures against COVID-19 coronavirus in order to contain the spread of the disease.
DSHS always recommends these everyday actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Expressing alarm both about mounting infections and slow government responses, the World Health Organization declared Wednesday that the global coronavirus crisis is now a pandemic but also said it's not too late for countries to act.