The Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) will be conducting a power generation for several days; opening a partial flood gate at Tom Miller Dam. These conditions will create high and swift waters, which will make recreational, commercial, and navigational use of lake Austin and Lady Bird Lake unsafe.
The Fire Chief of the Austin Police Department released the following:
Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) will be conducting a power generation for several days; opening a partial flood gate at Tom Miller Dam. Additional waters will enter City of Austin waterways from waters discharged at Mansfield Dam by the Lower Colorado River Authority.
These conditions will create high and swift waters, which will make recreational, commercial, and navigational use of Lake Austin and Lady Bird Lake near Tom Miller Dam unsafe.
Under the Authority of Section 8-5-21 of the Austin City Code, I hereby determine that flood conditions exist in the following described lakes:
- Lake Austin - Downstream of Oyster Landing boat docks to Tom Miller Dam
- Lady Bird Lake - From Tom Miller Dam to the east end of Redbud Isle
- Said waterways are collectively the “Flood Ban Area.”
I hereby ORDER a ban on all commercial or navigational boating in and all recreational use of the Flood Ban Area.
Persons are advised that it is an offense to violate this ORDER or to attempt a low water crossing or any road that has been barricaded.
Watercraft illegally being operated on waters in the Flood Ban Area may be impounded.
Persons should contact the City of Austin Police Headquarters at 715 E. 8th St., Austin, during business hours, to request written authorization to secure property in the Flood Ban Area. Proof of ownership or occupancy is required.
Posted at City Hall on this 29th day of May, 2016.
This Order is effective at 0600, Sunday, May 29, 2016 and expires at 12 Noon, Tuesday, May 31, 2016.
Here is an update on flood management operations along the Highland Lakes:
- LCRA will resume full hydroelectric generation at Buchanan Dam at 6 p.m. Saturday, which will result in water flowing over the spillway downstream at Inks Dam beginning Saturday evening.
- LCRA will resume full hydroelectric generation at Mansfield and Tom Miller dams Sunday morning.
- LCRA will partially open one floodgate at Tom Miller Dam in Austin at 8 a.m. Sunday.
- LCRA will partially open one floodgate at Buchanan Dam in Llano County at 9 a.m. Sunday.
- For current conditions, check the LCRA Flood Operations Report and follow LCRA on Facebook and Twitter. LCRA’s Hydromet has information on rainfall totals, stream flow and lake levels.