2018 FIFA World Cup: Meet the best players set to star in Russia
MOSCOW - Want to sound like a 2018 FIFA World Cup expert? Here are five superstar players sure to shine:
- Germany is FIFA’s No. 1 ranked team in the world, and Toni Kroos is perhaps their best player, so he’s worth keeping an eye on.
- England’s team hasn’t lived up to FIFA World Cup expectations in recent decades, but its hopes hinge on Harry Kane, one of soccer’s very best, if they hope to change their luck in 2018.
- Brazil’s best players are known by one name, and Neymar is no exception. The only question to Neymar’s brilliance is how he will recover from a recently fractured foot.
- Some consider Lionel Messi to be not just the best player now, but maybe the best ever. But one achievement has eluded him in his career: a FIFA World Cup title for his home country of Argentina.
- Known almost as much for his supermodel good looks as his skills on the field, in 2017 Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo was named the best player in the world by FIFA for the second year in a row, beating out both Messi and Neymar. He’ll have to be at his best if he wants to elevate Portugal above more well-rounded teams like Germany and Brazil.
No matter who wins it all, there’s no question each of these players have the weight of an entire nation on their backs. The 2018 FIFA World Cup begins June 14 on FOX.