Cat dies, five displaced in Lamar Square apartment fire

A cat has died and five people have been displaced in an apartment fire caused by unattended cooking in Southwest Austin.

The Austin Fire Department reported a two-alarm fire under control at 6:51 p.m. at 1322 Lamar Square Drive. 

Five adults were displaced from three apartments, one from fire damage and two below from water damage. The displaced residents are being assisted by complex management and the Red Cross, says AFD.

AFD reports the cause of the fire to be unattended cooking, and fire crews recovered a missing cat's body.

AFD says the residents were alerted by a working smoke alarm.