Colby Williamson found guilty of the murder of Hutto Police Sgt.

Williamson County jurors found Colby Williamson guilty of the murder of Hutto Sergeant Chris Kelley. Kelley was killed in 2015 when attempting to arrest Williamson.

He was run over in his own patrol car.

Prosecutors say Hutto Sergeant Chris Kelley's death was a result of string of bad choices by Colby Williamson. Choices, that started well before the day Kelley died.

Prosecutors say Williamson used and sold meth and sought to better conceal his identity from police by getting a different car.

He was test driving a car when he sped away from a Hutto officer on June 24, 2015.

"He took a traffic ticket to the senseless murder of a police officer," said Prosecutor Danny Smith.

Williamson is captured on dash camera video wrecking into a fire hydrant and running away.

He is stopped minutes later by Kelley.

"You might think that a rational thinking person would say that's it I give up, not this man. This man says I don't care. I'm getting away no matter how I have to do it," said Smith. 

The two struggled as Kelley attempted to put Williamson in handcuffs.

Williamson broke away and got into Kelley's patrol car. 

"The defendant chose to resist Sgt. Kelley's attempts to stop him from leaving in that car and then he chose to mash that foot on the accelerator throwing Sgt. Kelley out. Causing him to lose his balance and end up on the asphalt. And then he yanked that wheel. He caused that. And to drive over the head of another human being and then he drove away," said Smith."

Defense Attorney Joe Sawyer told jurors his client did the irrational behavior out of panic -- perhaps the result of coming off a meth high. "Colby had been up the better part of that night yeah he had done some methamphetamine," said Sawyer. 

Sawyer then asked jurors to question what caused Kelley's skull crushing injury. He claims Kelley died when he was thrown from the car and hit his head on the pavement.  "It helps to know exactly what happened to judge the quality of the act and assign responsibility for it," said Sawyer. 

Prosecutors called that theory disingenuous. And again focused on choice. 

"The defendant's choices to get away from being arrested for a suspended license... Have cost this community so much. But more importantly they cost that family a devastating loss," said Smith.

The jurors agreed, finding Williamson guilty in three hours. The Kelley family quickly left the courtroom looking now to the sentencing phase set to start on Monday.

Williamson faces up to life in prison.