COMAL COUNTY, Texas - Comal County has confirmed its first death from COVID-19 coronavirus.
The county says a New Braunfels man in his 40s died Thursday afternoon at Ascension Seton Medical Center in Austin where he was being treated.
“Our hearts, as well as our thoughts and our prayers, go out to this man’s family and friends,” said County Judge Sherman Krause. “This tragic news emphasizes the need for all of us to make sure we are taking every effort to maintain social distancing measures and protecting ourselves, our loved ones and the most vulnerable among us from contracting COVID-19.”
The county says the man's case had already been reported and was included in the county's current total of eight confirmed cases. Four are still active and three have recovered.
On March 19, Gov. Greg Abbott issued a public health disaster, the first in Texas since 1901. The executive orders, which took effect at midnight Friday, March 20 and goes through midnight on Friday, April 3, bring the state in line with CDC guidelines to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
The public health disaster orders schools to be closed statewide until at least April 3. The disaster also orders a ban on dine-in eating and gathering in groups of more than 10 as the state ramps up efforts to battle the coronavirus. Abbott's order also will shut down gyms and bars. It also bans visits to nursing and retirement homes unless there is a critical need.
FOX 7 Austin is working to keep you up to date with coronavirus, with both local and national developments. Every weekday we're live at 1 p.m. with a special show reporting the latest news, prevention tips and treatment information.
You can also get the latest COVID-19 news from around the country at coronavirusnow.com.