AUSTIN, Texas - New Austin City Council districts are coming for the 2022 election.
The Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission will be drawing new boundary lines and they want your input. The ICRC will be hosting a series of public input forums on district boundaries:
- Saturday, July 24 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.: District 7 at Northwest Recreation Center
- Tuesday, July 27 from 6-8 p.m.: District 8 at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- Saturday, July 31 from 2-4 p.m.: District 4 at Gus Garcia Recreation Center
- Tuesday, Aug. 3 from 6-8 p.m.: District 6 via Videoconferencing. Join Zoom Meeting at:https://zoom.us/j/93834842830?pwd=ajNDNzhYRHFDeWxEQ3RFSmh6MExBUT09. Meeting ID: 938 3484 2830 Passcode: 7Fn9ST
- Saturday, Aug. 7 from 1-3 p.m.: District 3 location pending.
- Tuesday, Aug. 10 from 6-8 p.m.: District 2 location at Mendez Middle School
- Saturday, Aug. 14 from 1-3 p.m.: District 1 at George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center
- Tuesday, Aug. 17 from 6-8 p.m.: District 5 location pending.
- Saturday, Aug. 21 from 10 a.m.-noon: Virtual Public Forum No. 1 via Videoconferencing
- Friday, Aug. 27, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.: Virtual Public Forum No. 2, via Videoconferencing
Along with census data, publicly submitted comments will be used to assist the commission when it begins drawing district boundaries between March-Nov. 2021.
Commission Chair and one of two members representing District 7 Christina Puentes joins Mike Warren to discuss this in greater detail.