AUSTIN, Texas - Loud noises can trigger a pet's nervous system causing a flight response, which is why pets run away on July 4th.
- Calming pheromones help cats & dogs
- Board your pet if you're traveling
- Keep pets in a room without windows during fireworks. Keep the room dark for cats. Turn on Dog Radio for your pups.
- Keep pets at a safe distance if you’re setting off fireworks or sparklers at home. Dogs’ and cats’ hearing is sensitive. Loud bands may damage their ears. Also, we don’t want dogs to fetch lit fireworks, which can cause serious burns or death.
- Ensure your pet’s microchip or collar tags are up to date so they’re easy to track down in the event they run away.