LAS VEGAS - Five homeless people were shot in Las Vegas on Friday, one of them fatally, and police were searching for a lone suspect, authorities said.
The shooting occurred around 5:30 p.m. near a freeway overpass in the northeastern part of the city, according to Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Lt. Mark Lourenco.
A police commander initially said two were killed, but Las Vegas Metro Police Department spokesperson Jason Johansson later said at a briefing that one man in his 50s was pronounced dead and another was in critical condition, while three others were in stable condition.
All the victims were unhoused, Lourenco said.
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Lt. Jason Johansson speaks to the media following the shooting (KVVU)
"We believe this is an isolated event," Lourenco responded in a text when asked if there was an active shooter situation.
One shooter was involved, but a suspect had not been captured, he said Friday evening.
The shooting comes after police in Los Angeles announced Friday they are searching for a suspect in the fatal shootings of three homeless people in separate incidents last month.