A man died while in TCSO custody after ingesting a white powdery substance.
According to the Travis County Sheriff's Office, deputies were called to a nightclub in 16300 block of North I-35 because of an altercation before 11 p.m. on Friday, March 16, 2018 because of an altercation between a patron and a security guard.
When deputies arrived at the nightclub, 35-year-old Anthony Ray Harris of Cedar Park was reportedly seen in possession of what was assumed to be narcotics.
Harris was observed to have eaten the entirety of the white powdery substance.
Deputies with TCSO transported Harris to Dell Seton Medical Center where he was examined and released. He was then transported to Travis County Central Booking.
Upon arrival, Harris began having seizures.
ATCEMS responded and Harris was transported back to Dell Seton Medical Center where he died.
An investigation by the Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division, Internal Affairs Unit, the Texas Rangers and the Medical Examiner’s Office is ongoing, as is customary with any death in custody.
The autopsy was conducted on March 17, 2018 and the final report is pending toxicology results.