FLOWER MOUND, Texas - A North Texas teen bitten by a snake while playing Pokemon Go wants to warn other players about the danger of distraction.
Lane Smith, 18, said he and his friends were playing the game at a park in Flower Mound Tuesday night around 9 p.m.
Smith said he was focused on his cell phone, instead of his surroundings, when his friend noticed a moving “stick” in the path. By then, the small brown snake, believed to be a copperhead, wrapped around Smith’s foot and bit his toe.
Smith was rushed to a local hospital after his foot began to swell pain spread up to his thigh.
“The first thing I did was text my friends,” Lane laughed from his hospital bed.
Doctors later determined he did not need anti-venom and was released less than 24 hours later.
Smith said he’ll continue to play the game but wanted to share some advice about the dangers of distracted playing for other Pokemon Go gamers:
- Always go with a friend or group, never alone.
- Don’t go out at night when visibility is low – stay in well-lit, populated areas.
- Be cautious in grassy or wooded areas – day or night.
- Wear appropriate clothing, including closed-toe shoes.
- Don’t play in streets or when driving a car.
- Be aware of your surroundings. The app will buzz your phone to alert you when a Pokemon is near, so you can watch where you are walking.