Space heaters cause fires in East Austin and Northeast Austin, AFD says

Image 1 of 2

Fire in a detached garage in East Austin ruled accidental. (Austin Fire Department)

Austin firefighters say a fire that destroyed a detached garage in East Austin this morning has been ruled accidental – a space heater was located too close to combustibles.

It happened around 4:30 a.m. in the 9800 block of Colfax Drive.

AFD says the garage was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived, but fortunately they were able to put the fire out before it spread to the home.

Image 1 of 3

Fire on Carwill Drive was also started by a space heater, AFD says. (Austin Fire Department)

Austin firefighters were also working a fire in the 7000 block Carwill Dr. around 7:30 a.m.

They say that fire was also caused by a space heater located too close to combustibles.

The fire started in a shed attached to the back of a home and extended into the attic.

Two adults and two children are displaced and multiple chickens died in a coop.

Space heater safety tips

FEMA says you should follow these tips to stay safe when using a space heater:

  • Place space heaters on a solid, flat surface. Keep them at least three feet from things that can burn.
  • Check your space heater for cracked or damaged cords and plugs.
  • Plug space heaters directly into wall outlets, don’t use an extension cord or power strip.

For more information, click here.