AUSTIN, Texas (FOX 7 Austin) - A credit card skimmer was found on a 7-Eleven gas pump in southwest Austin Monday.
A Texas Department of Agriculture inspector found the device on pump 4 at the 7-Eleven in the 3400 block of West William Cannon Drive after receiving a complaint.
TDA offers these tips to help avoid being a victim of a gas pump skimmer:
- Use the pump closest to the storefront in line of sight of store personnel
- Check for unusual Bluetooth signals with ID of string of numbers and letters (might be a skimmer)
- Check for damage on security tape on pump cabinet; torn tape might indicate it has been opened without store personnel's knowledge
- Always save the receipt and monitor bank statements after filling up
- TDA says the safest bet to avoid being a victim of a skimmer is to pay inside in cash.
Consumers who think they've been skimmed can call 1-800-TELL-TDA and TDA will send an inspector to check it out.