Police: Man who swallowed drugs dies while in custody
The Austin Police Department says a man has died after he was taken into custody. It all started just before 7 a.m. on August 5th at 501 Deen Avenue.
APD along with Austin-Travis County EMS and the Austin Fire Department responded to a call of a man who had swallowed a substantial amount of drugs and was showing signs of distress.
APD says based on the training and experience of the officers who responded it was believed that the man was under the influence of some narcotic or other substance. The man was placed in handcuffs, APD says, for the safety of the officers and those on scene.
The man, identified as 33-year-old Chris Givens, was being taken to the hospital when his condition quickly deteriorated and he went into cardiac arrest.
APD says Givens died just before 11:30 a.m. today.