RR12 reopens following fire at Cypress Creek Cafe

Ranch Road 12, which runs through the Wimberley Square area, has reopened after firefighters put out an early morning fire at the Cypress Creek Cafe. An investigation is underway to determine what started that fire. 

According to the Hays County Sheriff's Office, the Wimberley Fire Department responded to the 300 block of the Wimberley Square around 2 am on Tuesday, May 30, 2017. The South Hays Fire Department, San Marcos Fire Department, Kyle Fire Department, and the North Hays Fire Department were also dispatched to the fire for additional assistance. Firefighters were in the structure attempting to contain the fire when a large explosion caused the firefighters to withdraw and take up defensive positions to fight the fire. 

The owner of the Cypress Creek Cafe and his wife lived on the second floor, above the restaurant.

According to HCSO, the couple was awaken by smoke detectors. Both were able to make it out of the fire safely with no injuries. Their dog and two cats were lost in the fire.

The fire was finally contained around 4 30 am.

Over thirty-five firefighters were on scene. No injuries have been reported. 

Wimberley Mayor Mac McCullough said it is strange coincidence that this fire happened when it did since the two year anniversary of the Wimberley floods had recently passed. 

"Everyone in this community tenses up at the anniversary date and the weather, although the weather has been great, for the large part, but when it clouds up, when it starts raining around the anniversary time, everyone clicks up a couple notches on that," said Mayor McCullough. "And I'm sure by last night, we'd all breathed a sigh of relief and now this happens to such a hard part of our culture and our institution that we work from here. It's a hard loss."

The Cypress Creek Cafe has been in Wimberley, Texas since the 1940's. The cause of the fire is still under investigation and the estimated loss of the structure is valued at approximately $750,000.

Wimberley Mayor McCullough and his wife have offered for the owners to live with them.