20-year-old in critical condition, 16-year-old seriously injured following protests in downtown Austin

Two people were seriously injured following confrontations with police officers after the protests on Sunday night. A 20-year-old black male was struck in the head with a less-lethal impact emission in front of APD headquarters in downtown Austin. A 16-year-old Hispanic male was also struck in the forehead in a separate incident.

The Hispanic teenager was on the berm for the 800 block of frontage road of northbound IH-35. The teenager appears to be struck with a less-lethal impact emission in the forehead in videos that are circulating on social media. Chief Manley said he had been seriously injured.

The Austin Police Department is reviewing this incident, according to APD Chief Manley.

RELATED: City Council calls for emergency hearings into police tactics after clashes with protestors

The incident involving the 20-year-old black male happened shortly after 11 p.m. on Sunday, May 30, and was captured on a HALO camera, according to Manley. 

The 20-year-old victim was standing on the street and recording video on his cell phone when another person near him threw a water bottle at officers that were standing on the stairs to APD's headquarters. Protesters briefly ran away before regrouping once again in front of the building. 


Get breaking news alerts in the FOX 7 Austin News app. It is FREE!

Download for iOS or Android


The same person then takes off his backpack and hurls it towards the police officers, according to Chief Manley. A police officer shot a less-lethal impact emission at the person, which struck the 20-year-old victim. 

The victim fell to the ground and hit his head. 

The other protesters picked up the 20-year-old and brought him underneath the bridge for the IH-35 overpass. The protesters reportedly told police officers that the victim needed medical help, and the protesters were told to bring the victim to them so they could get him medical attention. 

Officers allegedly fired more less-lethal impact emissions at the protesters when they attempted to bring the victim over to the police officers.

Chief Manley said this is currently being reviewed. 


The victim was brought through APD headquarters and into an ambulance that transported him to a local hospital. He is currently in critical condition. 

Manley gave a briefing on the two incidents and took questions with local media outlets earlier. During the press conference, he asked anyone with photos and videos of either of these two incidents to share ith with the Austin Police Department so it can be included in their investigations. 

APD Chief Manley also spoke on using smoke and CS gas to clear protesters off of IH-35. The highway needs to be clear for everyone's safety, according to Manley. Protesters repeatedly tried to take over IH-35 in an act of civil protest, police officers used smoke and CS gas to push protesters off of the highway. 

First responders need access to the highway in order to safely serve the community, according to Manley. 

Read more about the national outcry following George Floyd's death.