AUSTIN, Texas (FOX 7 Austin) - Your commute in and out of downtown is about to get worse. Starting June 2, MetroRail will close their downtown station for several months during construction of the new station.
In addition, to accommodate the implementation of the positive train control system (PTC), MetroRail’s weekend service will be suspended until late 2019.
Capital Metro is offering customers several alternative options, including shuttle service between downtown station and Plaza Saltillo, added MetroExpress service and their High-Frequency Network.
- Route 451 Downtown/Saltillo Shuttle will bring customers between Plaza Saltillo and 4th and Trinity. Customers heading north from Plaza Saltillo will need to add in extra time for the shuttle service. MetroRail trains will leave at their scheduled times.
- Added service on MetroExpress Routes 980 and 985 to accommodate new riders. The MetroExpress bus stop is at Guadalupe and 5th Streets (Stop ID 2612).
- Customers are also encouraged to check out our high-frequency network.
- MetroExpress Route 980 North MoPac Express - will operate between 4 p.m. and midnight, serving Howard Station, downtown and the UT campus
- MetroExpress Route 985 Leander/Lakeline Direct - will operate between 4 p.m. and midnight, serving Leander and Lakeline Stations, downtown and the UT campus
Casey Claiborne will have more on what this means for traffic on FOX 7 Austin at 5 p.m.