The Austin Police Department is offering up some tips to help protect ACL Music Festival attendees from theft.
Officials say during the first weekend APD received more than 20 reports of thefts at the festival. Most of the thefts were handled as "thefts from person" cases or what is commonly called pick pocketing.
Police say in almost all the cases a cell phone was stolen. They're offering up the following tips so that those who attend aren't theft victims.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, especially in crowds
- Keep your phone and ID/credit cards/cash in separate places on your person
- Phones sticking out of back pockets or backpacks are not secure
- Keep property in a defensible location (front pocket, stylish fanny pack) or leave it at home
- Record serial number information for your device and keep it separate
- Notify on-site security/APD immediately for assistance
- Utilize APD’s online reporting site, http://austintexas.gov/department/ireportaustincom or 311 (non-emergency to report a theft
- If you see something, say something
Anyone with information about the weekend one thefts is asked to call 512-974-8100 or you can submit tips by downloading APD's mobile app, Austin PD.