AUSTIN, Texas - The Austin YMCA has partnered with Austin ISD to offer child care for essential workers.
Child Care for Essential Workers is a new program that is allowing essential workers to get help with childcare during the COVID-19 outbreak. On Monday, May 11, essential workers can drop off their children, ages 5 to 12, at Galindo Elementary located at 3800 S. Second Street.
The program runs Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The program will cost $150 a week and financial assistance is available.
"During the day, kids will enjoy arts, crafts, exercise, games, movies, snacks and supervision from experienced, expert Y staff. Children will be divided into small groups throughout the facilities, and proper social spacing will be maintained at all times. Children are required to bring a sack lunch," YMCA said in a press release.
RELATED: TEA Meal Finder
The YMCA is also taking precautions to protect the children, families, and workers including:
- Parents are dropping off and picking up children outside the Y facilities.
- Health questions are asked to the parent and child prior to arrival.
- Staff are taking children’s temperatures outside the facility at drop-off.
- Maintaining a 9 children to 1 staff ratio. 10 person limit per room.
- Adhering to social distancing requirement of 6 feet.
- Any child showing signs of illness will be separated and parents will be called for pickup.
- Facilities will be deep cleaned daily with hourly wipe-downs.
- Staff members wear gloves and mask.
- Children over the age of 10 must wear mask.
This program complements three other programs currently run by the Extend-A-Care YMCA for children 3 to 12 years old.
- Southwest Family YMCA, located at 6219 Oakclaire Drive & Hwy. 290
- East Communities YMCA, located at 5315 Ed Bluestein Blvd. & E. 51st St.
- Hays Communities YMCA, located at 465 Buda Sportsplex Dr. in Buda
These programs also cost $150 a week and financial assistance is available.
FOX 7 Austin is working to keep you up to date with coronavirus, with both local and national developments. Every weekday we're live at 12 p.m. with a special show reporting the latest news, prevention tips and treatment information.
You can also get the latest COVID-19 news from around the country at coronavirusnow.com.