AUSTIN, Texas - Austin ISD school buses, retrofitted with WiFi capabilities, will begin helping students Monday morning.
The district says the buses will be strategically positioned at apartments and neighborhoods in North and South Austin that have been identified as having the highest needs. Anyone who uses the buses will have to remain six feet apart and maintain social distancing, and students will not be allowed to board the bus.
534 school buses have been converted into mobile WiFi hotspots.
Monday morning, 110 of those buses will be sent out.
Students at the following locations will be able to access free WiFi on their school computers, not on personal devices, on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
North Austin locations:
- 8800 & 8900 N. IH 35 (Avesta & Capella Apartments)
- 5701 Johnny Morris Rd. (Pecan Park Mobile Homes)
- 7000 Decker Ln. (Huntington Meadows Apartments)
- 1601 E. Anderson Ln. (Creekwood Apartments)
- 1901 E. Anderson Ln. (Avesta Apartments)
- 1044 Norwood Plaza (Paddock at Norwood Apartments)
South Austin locations:
- 10701 & 10505 S IH 35 (Onion Creek Apts & Bridge at Asher Apts)
- 1601 E. Slaughter Ln. (River Ridge Community)
- 815 W. Slaughter Ln. (Trails at the Park)
- 8405 Old Bee cave Rd. (Southwest Trails Apartments)