Elderly man escapes Oak Cliff fire caused by space heater

Image 1 of 4

An elderly Dallas man escaped a fire but lost his home and beloved dog overnight.

The fire started around 11:45 p.m. Tuesday in the 2600 block of S. Llewellyn Avenue, near Zang Boulevard and Illinois Avenue. 

Dallas Fire-Rescue said a man in his 70s fell asleep with a space heater on. He woke up to the smell of smoke and noticed the curtains next to the heater were on fire.

The man was able to make it out and get to a neighbor’s house for help. He was taken to Parkland Hospital to be treated for minor smoke inhalation.

Sadly, his small dog was trapped inside and died.

By the time firefighters arrived, heavy smoke and flames were coming from the one-story home. The house was almost completely destroyed.

The Red Cross plans to assist the man because he basically lost everything.